Tuesday 23 April 2013

It's those Days again 248 - 255


Day 249. “Hello, hello, who is this? Is someone there?” I hear my voice speaking. Slowly I take the telephone away from my ear and place the receiver onto the cradle. I look at the two Inspectors. “All right then,” I say quietly. “I don’t know what’s going on but whatever it is can’t be any worse than is happening in my head. Ask your questions.” I sit back pushing the table to move my chair back.
Day 250. Well now it’s odd how things can happen. What I had intended to do was use the table to push my chair back. Unfortunately my chair legs caught in a rip in the lino so I ended putting all my weight onto the table pushing it rapidly into the midriffs of the two Police Officers. It totally winded them and knocked the tape recorder and exhibit bags to the floor. I have no idea what possessed me but the thought of having to explain that simple accident when all my other explanations have just got me further into trouble meant I just ran for the door.
Day 251. I do believe I may have made life a little harder for myself. Having run down the corridor I managed to time my arrival at the locked door just as a PC carrying at tray of tea was opening the door with his back. It tried to avoid him as I pushed through the partly open door but I could hear the clattering of the tray and cups as I bounded up the stairs. “Damn,” I thought, “I bet one of those was for me,” but it was too late. Before anyone could even shout I was through the lobby of the Station and out onto the street.
Day 252. I looked to left and right and chose to run left as two PC’s were slowly walking toward the Police Station from the other direction. As I began to run I heard a shout from behind me. “Stop that man!” I didn’t pause to look round but ran quickly down a side street and into an outdoor market. Isn’t it handy how often outdoor markets are nearby when you are trying to escape people. There were some very good meat bargains as well as a stall that was selling hand made jewelry.
Day 253. I was going to run right through the market and onto the street beyond but then I saw a large pile of cardboard boxes and all my memories suggested there would be the place that the Police car would skid to a halt to catch me. Instead a grabbed a length of material, wrapped it round me and sat on the floor playing a tambourine that was handily available at the stall next to the fabric purveyor.
Day 254. I was hoping to blend into the crowd but my bright orange fabric wrap and tambourine playing seemed to be attracting a crowd. Amazingly within moments I am surrounded by people in similar garb chanting along with my percussive music. I stood up and tried to lose them but wherever I walked they followed. At that moment a group of police officers came running at us. I feared the worst and was ready to hand myself in but they pushed through us shouting, “Get out of the way” in slightly ripe language.
Day 255. Somehow I have to lose the crowd of orange robed figures who have decided to walk with me. As we processed I asked the nearest to me who they all were. He spoke very quietly but I gathered that his name was Harry, and next to him was Chris but I couldn’t catch the rest. I started to walk slowly to allow them to pass me. Just as I made my way to the back I saw the DCI turn the corner and look at us. “Harry, Chris,” I said urgently which started another round of chanting. I made my way into the centre of the pack and relative safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment