Saturday 16 November 2013

23 Hours - the second hour



01.00. The cab moves away from the kerb and I check my phone for the time. I should just about be ok for the station. I realise the phone is my only way of knowing the time. I should have brought the charger. “More speed, less haste,” I say out loud which earns a response from the driver that he is doing his best. I’m about to explain when he puts the radio on. I had forgotten how rubbish early morning radio is. It is a punishment for those who cannot sleep.

01.05. Which part of God’s great plan means every light will be red when there is no other traffic on the road. I have the only cab driver in the world who honours the highway code to the letter. As the lights turn amber we do not move. It’s only on green that we creep forward. I have a sudden panic and open the briefcase. My pumping hearts believes I have left it home my head knows it is in there but only sight will confirm.

01.10. I sit back and relax. The package is safe in the case and we are beginning to make good speed as we hit the motorway. I now believe that I will be there on time. I close my eyes and let the world become just noise. Sound of car, DJ and my breathing. I open one eye and see the driver staring at me in the rear view mirror. He seems to be looking at my neck. Oh God, it’s the blood stains. How am I going to be invisible today? I will have to buy a new shirt if I get time.

01.15. The rain is beginning to fall heavily and as a result the effectiveness of the wiper blades has been revealed. The visibility through the windscreen is extremely poor and the lights bouncing off the road and raindrops makes this journey suddenly dangerous. The driver has now decided to go at the speed I had hoped for earlier. I wonder whether he has a death wish but at least he has stopped looking in the rear view mirror. His attention is focused on the road ahead.

01.20. I waste a little of the battery charge on the phone to check the time. I am beginning to feel that my fears on getting to the station on time will be unfounded. The stupid part of me now thinks I could have pressed doze or at least showered at a pace that wouldn’t have torn the fresh scabs from their sores. The packet in my case weighs heavy on my mind

01.25. The cab takes the final roundabout and the glowing neon sign of the station looms into view behind the spray. It is clear that the driver has not been here before as finding the drop off point reduces our speed to a crawl. I attempt to give him instructions but the radio’s constant drone mitigates my efforts. Finally he sees the space and pulls in. In one movement the radio is off and a request for money is barked through to the back seat.

01.30. Having paid the bill I get out clutching the bag in my hand with so much pressure my knuckles went white. Another fear defeated, another nightmare punctured. The bag is not being driven off on the back seat of a taxi and the driver was not sent to intercept me. I take a long deep breath and watch the lights of the cab turn the corner. Just me again.

01.35. I have purchased my ticket using notes withdrawn from a cash point that have only touched my gloves. I also purchase a newspaper, water and some chewing gum making sure to mask my face from the CCTV cameras. I have found a dark part of the station to sit and wait. I flick at the newspaper but I am so apprehensive about the day that it is impossible to concentrate.

01.40. My eyes are constantly flicking up to the departures board. As yet there is no movement but my stomach will not let me rest and relax. I know that the train will not just flash up and then leave at the same moment. Or at least my rational mind knows that. My fears however keep telling me it will be there and gone. After all the hurry and anxiety time is now hanging heavy.

01.45. The train has appeared on the departure board. A handful of people are making their way to the platform. I shall leave it until one minute, no two minutes before it is due to leave. I am keeping a watchful eye on the other passengers but as yet there is no one I recognise and no one who causes me any worry. I gather my paper, water and finally the case and slowly stand.

01.50. I have found a seat facing forward with my back to the end of a carriage. From this position I can have a view of the whole space which is currently empty except for myself. There can be fewer than ten of us aboard and the majority have walked toward the far end of the train. The psychology of being nearer the front so you get to your destination quicker. With a sharp whistle the train moves off.

01.55. Once again I find my body begin to relax. Another part of this journey can be ticked off. I stare at my reflection in the window. Beads of rain run down my hair and cheek but fortunately on the other side of the glass. I cannot believe how tired and old I look. I just want this day to be over with. I open the paper and find I can read.


No comments:

Post a Comment