Thursday 30 October 2014

Esq

I had moved at least eight times after he had died. My father passed away whilst I was in my early teens and now, some forty years later ........

The day before my birthday and a sound at the door alerts us to the fact the post has arrived. A single envelope addressed to me and with the oddly old fashioned 'Esq' after my name. I carry it through and say 'it must be from your Mother,' passing it over to my wife for her safe keeping until 'the day'.

'It's not her writing,' she comments adding, 'and look at the stamp.'  

I take it back and look more closely. The stamp is like a time machine to the past, I know it, I know when. I take another look at the writing and a cold hand wraps itself around me.

I hear my wife shout as I run to door and out into the street. Empty, save for a postman turning into a drive some houses away. My wife has arrived next to me. 'What the hell is it? You frightened me.'

I hold her hand and we walk back into the house. 'Well?' She says staring at me.

I sit and look at the envelope. I can feel tears prickling behind my eyes.

She comes and places her arms around me, 'What is it darling?'

Through hazy eyes I stare at the writing, a young boy again. I knew, I had always known.

No comments:

Post a Comment