Sunday 2 August 2020

The Jigsaw

I had a favourite jigsaw
A tyrollean view of a small home 
Surrounded by snow and trees
Mountains in the background 

When I was a child
I would make it regularly 
And dream of living there
To escape and be safe

Over the years 
Real life came
And seeking refuge in a jigsaw
Was no escape 

When we cleared out my mother’s house
I held the box in my hands
It was smaller than I remembered 
But I could see smaller, younger hands
Lift the lid and begin to sort
The pieces
Edges, corners, sky
The light in the window
Someone was home
Safe
Safe from the snow
Safe from the woods
Safe from the mountains 

It went to charity
But the pieces are still in my head
And sometimes 
In the dark
As something tries to rob me of hope
I start to sort

Edges, corners, sky
The light in the window
And hope
Am I still safe
Home

No comments:

Post a Comment