Monday 22 October 2012

First Days

For those who have missed it here is the series 'Days' to date


Day 56. It would appear that the ants are beginning to understand my routine. This morning as I went down to the river at my usual time to wash they took advantage of my absence from camp and built a statue of Illya Kuryakin out of sugar lumps. I know they are playing with my mind but they shall not win

Day 57: The sun has been particularly strong today producing the most astonishing shadows. I think the heat and the sharp contrast of light and dark led me to drift into seeing hallucinations. Or at least I hope they were hallucinations because if it was all real I saw Jeff Astle trying to give to give foot and mouth to a jar of Bovril

Day 58. Another terrible night. Woken by the sound of my elbows arguing with each other again. If they weren't essential for bending my arms I would just get rid of them. How come I get elbows that shout at each other when other people have funny bones.

Day 59. I have been putting off going down to the cove just in case I would be disappointed again but today I decided to see if anything useful has been washed ashore. I couldn't believe my eyes when I stumbled onto the shore. There was one on the sand exactly the same as the others. I held it to my chest and raised my eyes heavenwards in relief. I now have 52 leatherette Radio Times covers to see me through winter.

Day 60. In an attempt to break the ghastly all encompassing sense of loneliness I have created an invisible friend. I'm not sure I like him

Day 61. I feared as much. During the night my invisible friend and the ants have ganged together. As a result I have an odd rash on my elbow and my stack of leatherette Radio Times covers has been moved almost imperceptibly nearer to the large tree. I shall not succumb to their mind games, today I start to fight back

Day 62. Without any means of writing I can only remember each day by picking a pebble from the beach and imagining all my memories into it. I now have sixty two pebbles. I took a few moments today to pick up my very first stone. I sat on the sand, closed my eyes and remembered the day I arrived here – it was a very pebbly day. Thank god I have my memories to comfort me or I could go mad

Day 63. I was awoken in the night by the lights of a massive ship going by. I didn't light my flare as I only have one left. I am now kicking myself. It's bad for bruising but does get the circulation going on these colder mornings

Day 64. Having spent all morning perfecting my impression of Michael Shelvey I have finally realised that I don’t know who he is or what he sounds like. That said I’m really rather good at it and it is certainly scaring the ants when I shout, “I don’t want any more bloody beans Mother,” like I’m sure he does. Plenty here to fill the day

Day 65. Today I have decided I will explore more of the island. To do this I am going to have to pack provisions so I can camp overnight somewhere. I must make sure I only take essentials so I have put the walnut that looks like Piers Brosnan in the bag

Day 66. Lack of food and exercise has meant a drop in weight and greater fitness and flexibility. I can now touch my nose with my big toe. Today is the last time I do this. The toe fell off after an accident a few weeks ago and it's beginning to smell. No sign of a boat today but there are noises.

Day 67. I awoke and found the bag I had previously packed so I could explore the island. I am now standing on top of the cliff looking down at the beach that has been my home for the last 67 days. It seems so small now that I can see the vast expanse of land and the wonderful discoveries that await me. My heart is almost bursting with excitement and my muscles tremble with expectation. Wait a minute, 6+7=13. I think I'll explore tomorrow when it's not so unlucky.

Day 68. I walked for most of yesterday and slept well. I fear that I lost my way during the morning so by mid afternoon I was back at my beach. Today I shall aim for the big hill I can see and not deviate until I am there. It is clear that others have lived here by the things I saw dropped and lost. I wonder what happened to them? Did they die here? Is that what awaits me?

Day 69. From the brow of the big hill I can see a new bay. I have spent 68 days on my small beach struggling to live. This new bay offers much more opportunity. There seems to be a regular ferry, shops, an arcade and a lot of old people stood up in bus shelters. It must be how they bury their dead here on the Isle of Wight. I feel more desolate than ever

Day 70. I stumbled down the hill and back into civilisation. Suddenly being faced by people after 69 days on my own created the strangest panics and confusions. I found I had to run away from their stares and rushed into an amusement arcade. The flashing lights were strangely hypnotic and my eyes were drawn to a coin on the floor. Placing it into a slot I moved the grabber forward and to the side and released it to drop over the head of the little model of Elsie Tanner

Days 71, 72 & 73. I have been unable to find the words to express what has happened and so I have not left any entries on the stones. The chance of a circus train derailing must be tiny and the chances of tigers getting loose even more so. Never have I seen such carnage. I am now the only one left and once again find myself alone. I have taken a room in one of the hotels for safety. Not the really nice hotel though as I doubt I could afford it

No comments:

Post a Comment