Wednesday 24 October 2012

Recent Days


Day 74. The tigers have left. They must have gone to another part of the island in search of food. I now have an entire town to myself. It the strangest feeling to walk down empty streets where a few days ago there were people. As a child I always played games where I was running a shop. I can now do it. Today I managed a small branch of Blockbusters and re-categorised all their DVDs so that any film with more than six vowels in the title is on the top shelf. I think I’m going to be good at this but I may shut early today.

Day 75. I walked along the beach as the sun set and then spent some time in the empty amusement arcade on the pier. The sound from the games seemed to create ghosts of previous players leaving me feeling both lonely and a little scared. The laughing clown must be on a timer so his sudden burst of threatening cackles made me jump and sliced through me. On the walk back every shadow frightened me including my own. To cheer myself up I threaded 2500 polo mints onto a string and dragged them behind me pretending I was in the 1970’s computer game ‘snake’. I was soon smiling again.

Day 76. The loneliness could drive me mad so I must keep myself busy. Tonight I decided to put of a production of Gilbert & Sullivan’s ‘The Mikado’. As every shop is open to me I was able to get all the costumes I needed. The only thing that might have spoiled the performance was the fact I have never seen the show and don’t really know anything about it. I do however believe that my performance as the overfriendly self pleasing Dutch flower loving Panda, ‘Winkywankytulip’ in the final scene could be one of the finest ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment