Tuesday 5 March 2013

Days 189 to 207

I can only apologise for the number of days


Day 189. As the man finishes speaking there is an enormous cheer and the crowd applaud in appreciation. They shout his name but I have to ask someone to repeat it to me as their accent is so ‘thick’. Apparently he is their local MP Nye Bevan and he is to introduce the new National Health Service. Once again I fell the shame of being so ignorant and for taking so much in my life for granted. ‘Save the NHS’ is just something one says but when you realise the impact on people’s lives, particularly the poorer, it has had it is one of the finest things one human can do for another. First Charlie takes me to the start of clean water and then to the start of the NHS – what is this all about?
Day 190. Charlie has looked at me with those ‘seal’ like eyes and I know that we are going to travel again. I bend to stroke his head and hold onto his collar as the mists begin to swirl in my head. I have been witness to the birth of clean water and the NHS so where will we appear next. There must be a reason for all this. How on earth does this relate to all my time on the island?
Day 191. It is dark as my eyes open and it takes a little while for them to adjust. As they do I can just make out the shape of a woman at a workbench. Charlie walks over and lies at her feet. She is so focused on her work that she doesn’t even notice. I try to make my breathing as light as possible so as not to disturb her work. It is clearly important if fresh water and the NHS is anything to go by.
Day 192. She is carefully assembling something on her workbench. By the overhead light I can just about make out what she is doing. It would appear that she has created a basic Hoffspecker board and is adapting it to take neural valves. I have no idea what she is hoping to achieve but judging by some of the others elements on the bench it is a complex machine. She has such steady hands and an apron like one my mother had.
Day 193. By coupling up the Lancing Spapullars with the Diomestic Uber Vales she appears to be doubling their energy potential. The Flasceen Interface she has cleverly resolved by using a celery stick as the conductor. It is hard to follow but I believe she will son be in a position to test it. The machine now occupies almost the entire workbench surface. Golly.
Day 194. I keep wondering why she progresses so slowly then it dawns on me, this is the first time anyone has built this. She opens up a drawer and takes out a pair of vintage Krangreeve wrenches, only they are not vintage, they are brand new to her. A bead of sweat drops from her nose as the tension builds. My mother always used to say that animals sweat, men perspire and women gently glow. This is another of her homily’s that has proved to be rubbish. Judging by the aroma her belief that females don’t break wind is nonsense as well until I see Charlie’s guilty face.
Day 195. Using the wrench she tightens the Gussetlers and places the Drip Canlards under the Prenchard Nipplettes. I see her bend and using the classic flint and tinder light a small Bunsen. As the flame begins to grow so does the danger. This experiment can go only one of two ways.
Day 196. As the head of steam begins to build so does the vibrating of the copper Cheddners. The Lancing Spapullars seem to be holding and the vegetable Flasceen Interface seems remarkably resilient. She is clutching a dainty ‘kerchief’ to her nose to mask the rancid smell from Gussetlers. I am in no doubt that this will be a success but why don’t I know her name and why have I never realized how long ago this was first created? Did big business refuse to let it be used? How many lives would have been saved? As the first droplets leak from the Nipplettes she cries with joy. First is see the start of clean water, then the NHS and now, in a matter of moments I will see it created. I bend down to tousle Charlie’s hair and ……….. oh blast, the mists and swirls
Day 197. The nausea recedes and I find myself alone in a room, well apart from Charlie who has taken one sniff and shrunk to a corner and balled up. There is an overwhelming smell of perfume and the entire room is dressed in shades of pink and white. There a many vases of flowers and chocolates but the main feature in a enormous dressing mirror surrounded by light bulbs. As I walk towards it I become aware of fabric brushing against my legs. As I look down I catch my face in the mirror and freeze, both physically and metabolically. This is not my face, not my body and certainly not my dress. I know the face well but in my panic cannot put a name to it. There is a frantic knocking at the door and a voice shouts, "Miss Monroe, you're needed on set now. Really now..........."
Day 198. “Miss Monroe please come onto the set. You’ll get a reputation if you start playing around like this.” The voice outside the door seems desperate. I collapse onto the chair by the dressing table and stare into the mirror. This was quite possibly the last thing I was expecting and it has rather thrown me. Even Charlie seems phased. I stare into the mirror and the face I see back is unmistakably Marilyn’s . “Miss Monroe, please.”
Day 199. What can I do? I can’t stay in here but I’m not sure I can go out onto set. I feel so strange. I suddenly have an idea and rush over to Charlie. I stroke him violently in the hope I might trigger another time leap but nothing happens. “Miss Monroe they want you now.” I place my hand upon the handle and draw the door towards me. As it opens I see expectant faces. I step out and hear a gentleman say, “Marilyn, finally. All right everyone let’s get ready to shoot.”
Day 200. Can I really have been on this roller coaster for two hundred days. I realise that whilst I have been thinking this the Director has been giving me instructions. I only catch the last few words which were something about a ‘grate’. All eyes are on me. I step forward and as I pause over the grate I hear the Director shout. “For god’s sake Marilyn, I said not on the grate.” Even as he says it my skirt blows up and I have to trap it with my arms. “Keep shooting,” I hear him hiss, “This is great.” Why does this have a strange feeling of déjà vu?
Day 201. Well as a result of the air from the grate blowing up my skirt I am being treated as a star and the man who is directing who appears to be called Billy Wilder is saying it was what he wanted me to do. Charlie has come rushing over and is rubbing himself against my leg. The Head of the Studio is walking towards me when I get that familiar feeling. Now I have a wet, warm foot and the swirls are returning.
Day 202. I am sure we have all done it. You come out of a deep dream and can’t remember what is real and what was fantasy. Your mind is traddling to realities but one is entirely self-created. Or so you think. It takes a few moments to acclimatise yourself and to manage the thoughts in your brain. So, am I one board a careering train or a packet of bread flour?
Day 203. I am being tipped thought a sieve into a bowl. It is an extraordinary feeling quite unlike anything I have experienced before. The sudden sense of separation and the introduction of air has a quite a giddy affect and is uplifting. I’m not sure how to describe it but the only equivalent I can think of is turning off an episode of The Golden Shot when Charlie Williams presented it.
Day 204. This is possible the most confused I've been. My rest at the bottom of the bowl was disturbed by the introduction of cubes of butter. Before I could react, two hands start rubbing the butter on me. If this carries on I could finally crumble.
Day 205. The feeling of hands passing through me is a quite an out of body experience. I almost sad when it stops and they turn their attention to the filling. I have often wondered how fruit felt about being made into pies and crumbles. It turns out the gooseberries are quite bitter.
Day 206. Well, as I suspected, the apples are really sweet. A little simple, but terribly sweet. The gooseberries are unmerciful in their teasing as they lie together in the dish but a fine sprinkling of sugar soon has them choking back their comments. I am still utterly confused as to what I am to take from this situation as I am spread across the fruit and lifted carefully into the hot oven. I hate Tuesdays.
Day 207. I am struggling to comprehend why I have been brought back as flour. I can only imagine it is to try to comprehend the many parts the make the whole and try to empathise with all the elements of life. To realise that true inner peace and harmony comes from understanding your small place in the world but surely there was a way other than being baked in an oven. We are placed on the table to cool. After a little while I sense a face hovering over us. I recognize those beautiful eyes, that golden hair, that enormous slobbering tongue. With one bite Charlie demolishes the crumble and the world begins to spin again

No comments:

Post a Comment