Tuesday 25 June 2013

Day 6 to day 15


Day 6. The most overwhelming feeling of joy and relief comes when I spy a small stream making its way through this wooded area and out to the sea. I scramble down the hill ignoring every pain that is arching through me. I fall to my knees and throw my hands into the water cupping them to lift the precious liquid up to my mouth. I drink as a madman would. Massive gulps, water dribbling down my face and onto my neck and chest. At this moment tt feels better than anything I have felt before
Day 7. I lie back. My stomach bloated by the water I have drunk so quickly. Suddenly, and without warning I vomit the clear liquid back up. I am astonished by the action and amused by the moment of becoming a human fountain. As the last drop leaves my lips I am bending back down to the stream to refill. The cool water stings my cracked lips.
Day 8. All I have thought about since I woke up on the beach has been my need for water. Now that my thirst is sated real thoughts come crashing into my head. How has my mind blocked out the boat accident. As I relive the moment I jump up as I remember my wife and the children. Oh god, what has happened to them. I break down in tears, the first hurt so much as they break through my dry tear ducts. The subsequent tears hurt more as I know I may have lost everything I love.
Day 9. Despite the pain in my body I know I must look for my family. I drink more water and then stumble back to the beach I woke on. If I was washed up on there then perhaps I will find the others. As I break through the tree line I can see the golden sands and the waves lapping the edge. I scan along the beach but nothing catches my eye. I must search properly by walking along from the rocky outcrop on the left right to the to the cliffs on the right
Day 10. I have searched the whole of the beach and they are nowhere to be seen. I have managed to collect some bits and pieces that were washed onto the shore. I have some food and, fortunately, some drinks which means I will have bottles to fill allowing me to explore other beaches either side of mine. The saddest find was a duffle bag filled with the children’s clothes. I didn’t think my heart could hurt any more.
Day 11. I have packed the duffle bag with some food and bottles of water and I am going to set off. I have to find them as they will be looking for me. I have given up shouting as the noise from the waves and the wind means I cannot hear any replies if there are any. I have decided to head left as the rocks there look easier to climb. The sun is beating down on me and I am conscious of not adding to my burns and slipping back into the sickness of sunburn. I will try to take shelter where I can
Day 12. Beyond the rocks are a series of bays. They will take a time to explore properly. This terrain is not as friendly as the beautiful beach I was swept ashore on. The tide comes right in and covers what little sand there is so there is no chance of footprints helping me. I will have to time my looking with the water going out to give me the maximum opportunity to explore and to not get caught by the water. The rocks are rouge and jagged. I can only hope that they weren't driven against them
Day 13. I have done six bays and there is no sign of them. I have managed to salvage more objects washed up from the boat. Some are too big to carry with me but I have lifted them out of the tidal area and left piles that I can go back to. More sadness overwhelms me as clothes are part of the things I find and every one has a memory for me. I lift my spirits by realizing that as long as there are finds from the boat I am still in an area where they could have been washed ashore.
Day 14. After examining all the rocky bays I have progressed to another sandy beach. This is easier to search but as I do I began to realise that they could have well left the beach and gone inland much as I did. I am looking across the sand and then going to the edge where it joins the grass and trees. I am hoping to find footprints or some other tell tale sign that they have left the beach for safety
Day 15. I found some biscuits and bread by the edge of a trail. I could see no footsteps but I dived into the woods with my heart full of hope. After about fifty metres I was frozen by the sound of screeching behind me. I turned with hope only to see gulls were fighting over the food. As I looked down to the beach I could see others scavenging amongst the opened packets from the boat. I realised that the gulls had been responsible and once again all hope is washed away by the cry of a bird.
Day 16. I can’t stop looking but each day that goes by eats into my hope. It is possible that there are other islands and they are safe there. My heart wants that to be true. I don’t care if they are not here with me as long as they are safe. I must keep looking though. There is still a chance that they are either on one of the beaches or have moved inland. I will need to stock up again on food and water soon but I have enough to keep going for now.
Day 17. I have no sense how big this island is, or indeed if it is an island. All I know is that I will keep looking until I find them. They are my everything. Without them there seems little point so I must find them. Watching the sea I can begin to see the flow of the waves. I have replenished my food and water and have decided to go in the other direction over the cliffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment