Friday 18 July 2014

Staring At The Sun

Staring At The Sun

‘My eyes, my eyes!’ I screamed

I had been told repeatedly not to do it, knew it was wrong, could hear the warning voices in my head and yet, like touching the red hot plate just after the waiter has warned you not to, my eyes were drawn to it.

And so, knowing it could only do damage and would leave a lasting impression, I stared. And what damage it did.

It wasn’t just page 3 oh no. It was the xenophobic and misogynistic slant in all the articles. It was the trivialising of important news and the rubbishing of teachers, social workers and other professionals. It was the promotion of the celebrity culture and then the false outrage when they fell from ‘grace’.

It was the promotion of pride in Britain while undermining the very things that would give real pride. Once seen my retinas bear the scars.


I should have known and I will forever try to advice people – never stare at The Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment