Wednesday 7 November 2012

Catching up with Days

Due to requests here are the days since 76 - long catch up - sorry


Day 77. I cannot believe I have been here this long. I had thoughts I would be rescued within days once people knew I was missing. I see lights of boats far out on the horizon so today I built a massive construction of chairs from an old people’s home on the beach. As darkness fell I put a match to them. I had forgotten that new Health and Safety Fire precautions means they don’t burn but gently smoulder with no flames at all but a distinct aroma of urine to fill the air. The smell was so bad I decided to spend the night in the Lush Shop – but that was even worse. I can only hope that day 78 will bring a change of fortune and ambience

Day 78. I have to shake myself out of this malaise. It is clearly doing me no good. How can I feel any optimism when I am in this state and now it is attracting all kinds of flies. Wait a minute, it’s mayonnaise not malaise. Now it seems I am beginning to replace words with ones that sound like them. Thank god it’s only that and nothing worse. I shall go down to the water and wash of this sticky covering and then go straight to Top Man and choose myself a brand new watercycleclamplamp

Day 79. I hardly recognise the reflection in the mirror. Is this what seventy-nine days alone can do? I can no longer pretend that solitude has not affected me. My hair and beard are ragged. I have lost an incredible amount of weight in certain places although my head has ballooned out of all proportion and my legs are incredibly long. The mirror behind me shows almost the reverse with very short legs, a swollen rear end and the head of a pin. I must leave this Hall of Mirrors and resolve never to come here again. How come I don’t walk in circles if I have one very long leg and one short?

Day 80. The weather is changing. The skies are becoming increasingly purple and there is a strong wind coming off the sea. I am spending my time exploring the buildings. This afternoon I spent in the Police Station going through their cupboards and opening boxes and packages. It was great fun to see what they have. One package was hard to get into until I saw ‘tear’ which I did and and it soon opened. Moments later I found myself crying uncontrollably. When my eyes finally dried and the blurriness had gone I saw the rest of the label – ‘gas’. I laughed so much it felt like I was back watching the Mike & Bernie Winters Christmas Special

Day 81. The sun is bright in the sky and although it is cold the astonishing light on the beach and reflected on the sea can only lift the spirit and the soul. Suddenly everything seems clear. I can pack a large case with food and plenty of water and then take one of the boats from the pier and finally leave to safety. I am suddenly filled with optimism and belief. OK it will be a potentially dangerous journey but I have an atlas from the bookshop and it has to be better than slowly dying here. Never having been a sailor it is hard to know which is the most seaworthy craft. In the end I have settled for the large yellow swan as it has two seats so I can store the case comfortably and the peddles seem perfect for my leg length. It is also called ‘Felicity’ which adds up to 16 at Scrabble (which would be 48 on a treble at least).

Day 82. I have lost track of time. I know how many days I have been here but I cannot relate that to weekdays and months and yet I have a feeling that today is a special day. I sat under a tree staring at the sea and thought back over my life and the decisions I have made. Our story is one of continual crossroads where we make choices, often on the poorest of thoughts, that then direct our life and our opportunities. One decision keeps coming back to haunt me and I suspect always will. It is a shadow across my heart and god knows I regret it. I should never have eaten that yoghurt in the fridge that was two weeks over its sell by date. Will I ever come to terms with my stupidity.

Day 83. I have developed a passion for Velcro. I was in the Haberdashery shop and found rolls of the stuff. If I can't get off the island then I must do something to draw attention to my plight. My idea is both simple and dramatically effective. I am going to put the furry side of the Velcro on the edge of the sand and then attach the sticky hook side the the leading wave on the sea. When to two come together the water will not be able to leave the beach and the sea will be stuck here. This should mean other beaches will lose their waves and a proportion of their sea causing people to investigate and that will lead back to me and provide my road to freedom at last. I have also taken some of the glue that works under water as I don't want the Velcro to peel off.  You really do have to think these things through.

Day 84. I don't think I have come to terms with the fact that I will never see anyone else again. My idea to Velcro the waves to the sand has turned out to be a fiasco. The waves were stronger than the beach and just dragged it away.  To cheer myself up I have taken all the supermarket trolleys from the three supermarkets and lined them up one foot apart to see if I can make a sort of domino effect train. In front of the final trolley I have placed a shop dummy and dressed it as the German golfer Bernhard Langer. Based on the theory of infinite realities somebody somewhere in some universe is doing exactly the same thing. "I AM NOT ALONE," I screamed as I pushed the first trolley with all my might. The effect was not as I had originally intended as it missed the second trolley completely and rattled off down the road. I sat sobbing uncontrollably on the grass verge until a seagull landed on Bernhard's head.  Could this be the spirit of my friend in the alternate reality and if so what is his message?  

Day 85.  When we are low we often lead our mind back to happier times. Sitting in the blue light cast from the window of the Tanning Shop by the sea front, I began to think of my childhood and times at school.  Without really noticing I found myself running as though I was in the playground. In my mind I could feel my anorak hood over my head and my arms outstretched holding the coat as a cape. Before I knew it I was singing "nanananananana Batman" and running with the freedom of a child's legs that have no fear of falling. I thought of the other games the children used to play with me. Suddenly I found I was giving myself a Chinese burn, but as it was with only one hand I looked as if I was revving a pink motorbike. Next I started to give myself dead legs but this was almost impossible until I found I could just run into the edge of a bench to create the total numbness and pain that playtime used to finish with.  Ah, such days as my class mates used to sing to me 'cry baby, cry baby, cry baby'.  Why is marmalade called marmalade? I doubt I will sleep tonight.

Day 86. If potatoes can have jackets why does other food stuff not have clothes. I know some have wraps but why don't we have sock cherries or trouser mackeral. I would like vest eggs or camisole pears and I would certainly relish felt hand warmer plums. I believe the pairing of clothes and food is the future and when I get off this little piece of the world I will make it my mission to ...... Actually why just food and clothes you could do vehicles and animals like the Jaguar car,  damn damn damn.

Day 87. They said it would come in useful one day and maybe today is the day. I am trying to remember some of the math I was taught at school and not a lot is coming back. It was the one lesson where I wished I had put my hand up at the very point I stopped understanding and asked to have it explained. Because I didn't do that I spent most of my time sitting in a fog of words and numbers and never got my head round it all. Now, when I need it, I can't even remember the formula for working out which American Vice President could dance and why.  Wait, wait it’s coming back. Of course, it's an Algorithm.

Day 88. I am wrestling with philosophical questions today. In my head, not physically – I feel to tired to wrestle even an idea down to the ground.I have sat by my bonfire for some time pondering. The issue of concern is this. If I light a stick, I have a burning stick. If I light two, I have two burning sticks. How many sticks do there have to be before it stops being a number of sticks and becomes a ‘fire’? This has troubled me for over two hours until it was replaced by the thought of ‘where did I put my shoes to dry?’ I am now faced with a new philosophical question. How many shoes have to be burning before they become a fire? Tonight I shall run barefoot in the sand.

Day 89. I believe I slept tonight which means I have woken up in a better space. It made me think of how important friends and family are and how, despite being self reliant and resilient, how much extra having your loved ones around brings. That made me think that Mary and Joseph must have had family but I can’t remember much about them in the Bible. It must have been so tricky at family gatherings when the inevitable competitive parents competition kicks in. “We’re hoping Saul will become a Doctor, what about you Joseph?”. “Oh I expect he’ll just be a carpenter like me, he seems good with his hands.” “Well it’s not such a bad job Joseph and we always need shelves.” “We think Luke will be a tax inspector like his father, it’s a job with great career opportunity. “We must meet at our house next time, it’s got so much more space and you don’t get sawdust on your clothes.” “What’s that Mary? We’ve run out of wine?”



No comments:

Post a Comment