Tuesday 12 February 2013

Giants with Muddy Feet


We stand on the shoulders of giants. We see more, and things that are more distant, than they did, not because our sight is superior or because we are taller than they, but because they raise us up, and by their great stature add to ours.

Once again in these last few weeks I am reminded of this saying. It makes me think how fortunate we are to be able to build upon foundations laid by great people with great minds, great energy and importantly great ‘souls’. If there is a moment to be humble it is when we realise how little we could do if it were not for their efforts.

I have the pleasure to be working on a project that places me next to some of my heroes – modern giants – people I have admired for their enormous contribution to life. They are humble, unassuming, and with no apparent ‘self’. In talking with one of them in rather gushing terms she said, “It’s nice that you say such things but remember we have feet of clay.”

Of course you do, no person is perfect, but if the weight of good so outweighs the amount of bad and when you have contributed so much then I am happy to applaud giants with muddy feet.

Let us hope when we look back over our shoulders on our life we are fortunate enough to see some giant muddy footprint on our path. If not, then what was the point.





1 comment: