Wednesday 20 February 2013

The Old Chest


There is an old chest next to the head of my bed, almost as old as me. In it I keep all my fears, doubts and self loathing. The lock broke a long time ago and so, at night, I place all my dreams, hopes and my positive thoughts on top to keep the lid shut.

Unfortunately the hinges are sprung so, despite how much good I place on top, sometimes a cold draft escapes and chills my mind. Then, I have to take one of the positive thoughts as a blanket to wrap around me. The only problem is that each thought I gather about me reduces the weight on the lid until my fears, doubts and self loathing creep silently into the bed and make a pillow for my head.

They seep their loathing into my mind and no matter how much I toss and turn, no matter how high I pull my blanket of good thoughts the pillow is always next to my ears poisoning me and draining any confidence in myself I have.

Only light can seems to reduce the power of these debilitating thoughts but in the long, dark, sleepless night the dawn can seem an eternity away. Does anyone have a lock that can keep the chest shut?




No comments:

Post a Comment