Monday 23 December 2013

23 hours - the fifth hour

04.00. The train is pulling away from the station as we get to his carriage. The seat is empty, the carriage is empty. I let out an expletive and the guard who has just stepped back into the carriage asks rather politely if something is wrong. I turn to her and stop myself from shouting. “Where is he?” I gasp, “Where is the man who was sitting here?” She is surprised by our reaction when she tells us he has just got off at that stop we have pulled away from..

04.05. “Why?” the guard asks. Before I can answer the woman with me speaks, “We think he has taken one of our bags," and, after a pause “Accidentally.”  The guard seems happy with this answer. “Is there anything we can do?” I ask, “Is there someone at that station we can talk to?” The guard shakes her head, “Not at this time in the morning, it’s unstaffed until 6.” She sees me glance at the emergency stop sign. “And I wouldn’t try that for a lost bag Sir,” she says. “The next stop is in 5 minutes and you should be able to get a cab from there.”

04.10. The woman with me takes out her phone. “What is the name of the next station?” she says in a calm, firm and controlled voice. As the guard says it the woman repeats it over he phone as she requests a cab to pick us up in 5 minutes. The voice at the other end speaks and she says, “£50 extra if you are there as they train pulls in.” The guard stares at me. “Thank you,” she says and hangs up. She then turns and tells me to get my belongings.

04.15. We walk in strained silence back to my seat and pick up what little things we have. I wonder whether it is worth taking the case but remember it is important to leave no trace behind. Perhaps it’s too late as so many of the passengers know we have been on this train. “Who was he?” she says. I’m not sure if it’s to me or just voicing her thoughts but I do respond. “I don’t know,” I mutter. “What did he look like?” she asks pointedly. I pause to try to get the picture back in my head.

04.20. As the picture forms again I realise how clever he had been. Every time I went past his seat his head was hidden from me. Either behind a paper or with his back to me gathering his bags and belongings. There must be something, there must be something I can remember. The train pulls into the station and once again I find myself jumping through sliding doors to save time. In the darkness there is a glowing yellow lamp. “There,” she says pointing, “that must be our cab.”

04.25. We are underway but the driver will not shut up. First about the £50 bonus and then by the fact we forgot to get off at the previous station, which seemed the simplest explanation. His constant drivel makes it hard to concentrate on the picture in my head. Finally I turn to the woman and as I do I realise I don’t even know her name. I lean towards her and quietly say “I’m Mike,” as the driver’s prattle carries on. “Faith,” she responds and then to the driver “How long?”

04.30. We should be at the station in five more minutes. The driver seems oblivious to our talking and is continuing his one-way conversation in the front. The absurdity of our situation is beginning to hit home. We are going to arrive at a station fifteen minutes after the man with our package got there. We have no clues as to where he is going and what transport he had arranged. Faith has taken out her phone. “I can’t get any 3G,” she says, “try yours.”§ I take mine out and have no internet signal either. “Nor me,” I say before remembering I have turned the Wifi off to save battery. 15%

04.35. We have got out of the taxi and asked him to stay. The station is empty and barely lit as we begin to look for any clues as to where the man has gone. The rain proves to be our friend as there are a single set of damp footprints coming from the wet platform and through the sheltered concourse to the footpath outside the station ticket office. That’s where they end so he either set off back onto the wet pavement or….

04.40. Faith has noticed the same wet footprints further up the pavement where it is sheltered by a bus top canopy. They stop there and she places her feet over the last two and sits down on the bench. That’s it. He waited for a bus or something here. As she gets up another car drives up and winds down its window. “Cab for Etlingham?” I walk up to the driver, “Pardon?” He repeats, “Cab for Etlingham?” “Who ordered you?” Faith asks. “Don’t know, just got a call about twenty minutes ago.” I turn and look at Faith and then turn back to the driver. “I’m afraid your fare has left already,” and before he can ask, “I point to the other taxi, “and that’s ours,” I say.

04.45. The angry cabbie pulls away cursing. As I watch him exit the car park I see Faith studying the bus timetables. “That’s it,” she says triumphantly, “He waited here for his cab but when it didn’t come quickly enough he caught the 4.30 bus. There’s a night bus every hour and it goes through Etlingham.” She runs back to the cab and I follow admiring her mental adroitness. We jump in as she says, “Get us to Etlingham as quickly as you can. The bus is due to stop there at ten past five,” she whispers to me. “Etlingham,” he says, “right away,” and so starts the next outpouring of unwanted conversation.

04.50. “He can’t have planned to take the package when he did. He must have just been waiting for an opportunity,” She says. “He didn’t know you would get off the train for water.” She pauses for a moment. “Why did you?’ she says turning towards me. “I was thirsty,” I say staring back at her, “And I knew you were too.” She let’s her eyes drift from me and quietly says, “It means he had no transport arranged here. He is having to do everything off the cuff. We might just have a chance.”


04.55. It is still dark but there is an increase in streetlamps as we move towards a town. I lean forward towards the driver. “Is this Etlingham?” I ask and the driver shakes his head. “Nope, this is Fenschem, then we’ve got Lower Etlingham, then Etlingham. Not long now.” I stare at Faith and was about to say at least there’s hope but realise she won’t appreciate the levity and I think she currently sees me as a bit of a fool. As we leave Fenschem we can see another vehicle in the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment