Tuesday 10 December 2013

23 hours - the fourth hour

03.00. I am about to offer the woman one of the bottles of water when I notice she is not in the seat anymore. My heart suddenly races and deafens me but the sight of the case still resting on the seat next to me brings it rapidly back to a regular beat. I drop my self down and flip the lid off one of the bottles and gulp down some of the water. The first drops seem to create a glue in mouth but by the time it is half empty I am beginning to feel more normal.

03.05. I let me head fall back against the headrest and yawn. I take a more leisurely drink from the bottle and feel my body begin to relax. I have been awake for just over three hours but it feels like thirty. This is going to be the longest and hardest days of my life. Once I have delivered the package I will disappear and swear to myself that I will never get caught up in this sort of thing again.

03.10. I begin to wonder where the woman has gone to? What happened to make her move? I was only off the train for a matter of moments but now there is no evidence that she was ever here. I stare at where she sat. There is evidence, a slight dip in the seat and a slip of paper. I lean forward and pick it up. It is receipt for a rather expensive scarf from a London shop I have never heard of.

03.15. As I look at the receipt something makes me feel uncomfortable. I tuck it into my jacket pocket and pick up the case. I go to the locks but they are already open. I am almost sure I would not have left them like that. I lift
the lid and feel physically sick as I stare at empty interior I jump up and shake the case to check it’s empty. It is clearly not there but I cannot help myself. I feel desperate and my stomach is cramping. I look under the seats and up on the shelf, standing on the seat to make sure that I can see right to the back. I want to scream.

03.20. I quickly run through my day so far and it is clear that only time the package could have gone was when I was briefly off the train buying the water. Logic tells me that the woman must have taken it and that would explain her absence. I know I have to get it back so I throw the now empty case onto the overhead shelf and start to walk through the train.

03.25. The same men stare up at me as I go past plus a couple more lift their gaze, their frowns signalling the fact that I have disturbed their precious concentration. One man is occupied collecting his belongings in preparation for the approaching stop. There are fourteen on the train including the guard. I know that as I counted before. I get to the carriage where the woman had been sitting but it is empty. I carry on through to the buffet car and finally to the door of the driver’s cabin. She is nowhere to be seen.

03.30. I feel light headed and semi feint, propping myself up against the drivers’ door. This cannot be happening. Perhaps I will wake up soon and this is just an anxiety dream about the day ahead. In my heart and head I know that this is not true but I want to believe I am asleep. Where the hell has she gone? I will walk through the train slowly to find her. She cannot have left the train at the last stop where I bought the water as I could see the platform and no one got off.

03.35. I go back through the carriages again checking and rechecking. When I get to the carriage next to mine I notice that the toilet door is locked. That’s it. She is hiding in there. I knock heavily on the door and just get a muffled sound back. Suddenly there is banging on the door from the inside. I put my weight against the handle and force open the door. She is lying on the floor with gaffa tape across her mouth, her legs are bound with a cable tie. Her eyes are full of fear. I lean forward and lift her up. Her arms are tied behind her back with another plastic tie.

03.40. I take the gaffa from her mouth and she coughs uncontrollably. I take the small penknife that is on my key ring and cut through the cable tie around her ankles. It is incredibly hard. She turns slightly to let me get to the one on her wrists. As soon as she is free I push her shoulders back against the wall. “Where is it?” I say with a voice mixed with fury and fear.

03.45. “I have no idea, She says immediately, “I was watching you get water when a hand grabbed me and pulled something over my eyes. Next thing I know is you open that door.” I go back into the toilet and look around. Nothing. She could have left it anywhere on the train. I go back to her, “Where is it, I’m serious, I have to get it back.” She doesn’t say ‘what?’ so she knows what I’m talking about

03.50. “I know.” she says. “What do you mean, ‘you know’?’ I stammer. She looks at me with those remarkable eyes, “Did you really think they would send one person with such an important package.” Her words echo round my head. Does this mean she works for them too. The rain is slowing to a stop as are my thoughts. “Come on,” she says, “We have to find it. I stand upright and, as I do, a picture comes into my head.

03.55. “What is it? she says grabbing my arm. I have to focus, what is it in the picture in my head that is disturbing me. The man gathering his bags, plastic bags and a rather trendy paper carrier with a logo that said …… Oh my god. I fumble with my pockets and pull out the receipt. “What is it? she says again. The name on the receipt is the same as on his bag. I turn and run to the next carriage with her following behind. “I know who has it,” I say over my shoulder.


No comments:

Post a Comment