Tuesday 29 January 2013

A Poet's Life

As a school child we were set the task of writing a poem about loneliness. It was the major project for the term. On the evening before the massive tome was to be submitted I hadn't written a word. Panic set in and everything I produced was rubbish. Finally, as my Mother was shouting at me to turn off my light, I penned the following.

In me room
On me todd
Wiv me Guinness

A week later our work was handed back and I prepared myself for the tirade. However, on opening my book I saw A+ and lovely comments. It was chosen by the teacher to explain how one can overwrite and sometimes simplicity is key. I sat back and thought, "This poetry lark in money for old rope" and so for the next poem I adopted a similar approach. Sadly my next attempt did not garner the praise and approbation I had hoped for. It follows here

The weather today will be fine
The weather tomorrow will be rubbish
Bom bom diddily bom
Reginald Fish

Last night, in the sleepless bit, I realised that I had a 50% hit rate so this morning I would just write an instant poem. It will start below this but I have no idea what it will say and whatever it does I will just post. So here goes

A Poem

I'd hate to be a penguin
I'd hate to have their fear
You're safe inside your wrapper
And then the hand comes near



No comments:

Post a Comment