Thursday 31 January 2013

Days 167 - 173

Another catch up of the days


Day 167. Charlie has of course revealed himself and I’m sure anyone else would have worked it out an age ago. Although he bears the shape and manner of a dog he is actually a Glendanvagher. One of those rare and unique sprites that guard the Vunderdors or TTVX as we crudely call them. I thought them the stuff of legend but now, standing in fetid mud of this Victorian streetscene, I know them to be both true and as real as I. What adventure does day 168 bring?
Day 168. I know what has happened and yet still I stand here bemused. Passers by are staring at me and the odd individual has exhorted me to "Move on", some with riper language than that. I took a few moments to acclimatise myself to the scene. Although many, many years ago there are things I would recognise from today and our modern high street. A public house called The Lamb and Flag, a coffee house (which is the equivalent of Costa) and a Mrs Lovett's Pie Shop (which the equivalent of Greggs)

Day 169. I stare at wonder at the street in front of me. The hustle and bustle and extraordinary way in which they make their way through the muddied street with hardly a slip. I cannot work out their reasons for such activity but it is like a ballet in front of my eyes. Charlie sits and watches with me. In fact it would be quite lovely were it not for the quite appalling smell that arises from the ground. The answer to its source is solved in one deft movement as I watch a woman tip her ablutions into a small blocked channel outside her doorstep. 

Day 170. I have to think about how I am going to cope here. At first I believed my knowledge of modern inventions would be my livelihood. I started off by trying to explain one of our most wonderous and one that any person would jump at. They are so simple they don’t even see the benefits Formica can bring. I realised that whilst I know of our progress and have used many things I have absolutely no idea how they are made. This rather knocked me back until I realised. I must find their equivalent of a bookmaker and place money on future events. I shall be a millionaire in no time.

Day 171. I have begun to realise that I must be careful how I interact with events in this time as I could disturb the future causing catastrophic affects. The thought of this weighs heavy as I wonder what I may have accidently done already. If Formica gets invented too early all hell could break loose leading to heavy rainfall and floods in some areas. I have decided n ot to use my real name so that my appearance in history books will not reveal my presence. I have chosen the name Byron C Felthenger as it is both obvious and will have few tax implications in the future. Now to find a ‘bookmaker’.

Day 172. A small stumbling block has emerged in my plan to place bets on events I know the outcome of and I am kicking myself again. My failure to listen and study in History means I have little to no knowledge of what occurred during the Victorian age. I have vague recollections of half remembered sentences but nothing I would place money on. Why didn’t I tasnport to Roman times where I least I remember how they built their roads? So what can I bet upon? My chances of collecting on the Derby winner in 2011 are slight and who would take that bet? How can I win on the fact that Manchester United will dominate the Premier League when neither the club nor the sport exists? I am going to have to think once again.

Day 173. I have purchased a local paper from a young lad. I shall never watch the film Oliver again in the same way. It appears that I have arrived in the year 1854 in August somewhere around the Soho district. I must say it is not the Soho that I know. Dark, rank and clearly run down. There is the smell of a malting house or something but the overall nose is one of dirt. Something is nagging at the back of my head. Was this the year that Peter Stringfellow started his club?

No comments:

Post a Comment